16 July 2012

Food & Drink For Your Random Tavern

Last week I posted this set of tables aimed at generating a random tavern name. I made that table for a spot of fun on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I thought I would enjoy supplementing it with a pair of tables for random food and drink.

This interest in tables is a new thing. I don't recall ever making more than a basic table before last week and here I am cranking out another two. I'm finding table creation to be a strangely engrossing pastime.

Food Table

To use the Food Table roll d6 once per ingredient you wish to have in the food, I suggest 2-4 times. Then roll d10 under the corresponding category. Roll d10 again under the Preparation heading to find out how the food is prepared.

For example, I want to come up with a menu item for the The Dancing Kobold Tavern. I decide to use two ingredients and roll 2d6. I get a 1 and a 4, which means I need to roll once for meat and once again for Fruit. I roll d10 on each and end up with pork and plumb. Finally, I roll Preparation and get stewed. The menu item is Stewed Pork and Plum, a combination I can't say I have tried in my life. I never claimed that the tavern would have good food.


Ingredientsd6123456
d10Preparationd10MeatFishVeggieFruit/BerryOtherSeasoning
1Roasted1BeefTroutPotatoAppleCheesePepper
2Boiled2GooseSalmonCornPlumCreamNutmeg
3Grilled3ChickenClamSquashPearAlmondChives
4Baked4PorkOysterTomatoGooseberryWineBasil
5Fryed5DuckSquidCarrotBlackberryOlive OilGarlic
6Steamed/Smoked6LambHerringOnionRaspberryButterRosemary
7Souped7PheasantCodTurnipStrawberryWalnutMugwort
8Stewed8GoatSharkBeetCurrantChestnutCinnamon
9Coldcut9VenisonBassCeleryFiggHazelnutCoriander
10Salad10Exotic*Exotic*Exotic*Exotic*Exotic*Exotic*

* Choose a monster, humanoid or monstrous plant as the source of this ingredient.

Drink Table

The Drink Table is easier, simply roll 1d8 once under each of the headings to find out what is being served. The thing to remember with this table is that the Accents column could be the full blown flavour (Apple Cider) or just a hint (a touch of orange in an India Pale Ale).


d8Source/PreparationAccentsAlcohol Type
1AgedOrangeAle
2DwarvenBerryCider
3ElvenSpiceLager
4GnomishHerbsKumis
5StilledAppleWine
6IcedOakLiquer
7MulledPearRum
8CaskedNutsBrandy
Well, now I'm thirsty. Time to swing by the fridge and see what I've got to drink. I doubt it is anything so exotic as Gnomish spiced kumis.

1 comment:

  1. That's a damned fine idea! second time in a little over a week that I've seen people put some effort into getting adventurers to drink anything other than ale/mead/wine. Keep up the hard work, so I don't have to!

    ReplyDelete

About

Web Analytics